19th June 2019 - 23rd June 2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
220 Arlington Road Camden Town London NW1 7HE United Kingdom
This course is run by Heather Mason, founder of Minded and renowned yoga therapist for the use of yoga in trauma.
Approximately 8 percent of the population suffers from post-traumatic-stress-disorder. Although many new treatments are emerging a large percentage of those who seek help still experience significant symptoms. The use of yoga therapy in the treatment of post-traumatic-stress-disorder is gaining international popularity and some research trials have often found it preferable to conventional therapy. This is because yoga offers valuable skills that are vital in healing. Insights from neuroscientific research inform us that people who have PTSD require physical practices to help process traumatic experience and enhance the resiliency of the nervous system. As yoga offers gentle and safe movement, with practices that integrate controlled breathing, and self-awareness it is an ideal complementary treatment. Yoga helps individuals reconnect with their bodies and cultivate peace by balancing the autonomic nervous system. It also supports improved capacity ability to be with difficult feelings in a compassionate way, a fundamental part of reclaiming well-being.
In this training you will learn how to use yoga to work with trauma in an evidence based, compassionate, and innovative way.
What the training will cover:
- An overview of PTSD from a psychological, medical and neuroscientific perspective
- Research on yoga for PTSD
- Why yoga is an important intervention in PTSD from a psychological, medical and neuroscientific perspective
- How yoga is able to able to alter psychological and neurological functioning in individuals with PTSD
- Unique ways that yoga can be tailored to help those with PTSD in graduated and gentle fashion
- Sensitivities and necessary precautions when using yoga to work with PTSD
- Logistics of offering therapeutic yoga to those with PTSD
Who is the training for?
Yoga teachers, psychologists, therapists, nurses, and doctors are all welcome.
About the Teacher:
Heather Mason is the founder of Minded. She is a yoga therapist, psychotherapist, and holds an MSc in medical physiology with a background in neuroscience. She specialises in using yoga therapy with PTSD and populations by integrating her yogic, neuroscientific, medical and therapeutic background. This training will be informed by her robust academic and experiential background, providing you with skills and insights that you will not find anywhere else.