21st May 2020 - 25th May 2020
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
This course is accredited by the International Association of Yoga Therapists.
Anxiety and anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental health issues plaguing our society today. Although a normal part of being alive, anxiety levels are spiralling out of control with, 40 percent of the population reporting anxiety in any given week. In this innovative course taught by Heather Mason, she shares her insights and concrete tools from years of clinical experience as a yoga therapist that draws on her extensive background in neuroscience, physiology, and psychotherapy. As someone who suffered from debilitating anxiety for many years her knowledge of how to use yoga therapy to work with anxiety comes from a place of deep knowing
Whether you are a:
- Yoga teacher who wants to offer classes that attend to your anxious students, while continuing to teach your own style of yoga
- A yoga teacher who wants to specialise in yoga therapy for anxiety
- A mental health professional looking to integrate yogic techniques into your work
This course will provide you with the tools and understanding regarding yoga’s therapeutic role in anxiety treatment, giving you clear skills to offer other greater peace, ease, and psychological resiliency.
We will cover the following:
- The neurological, psychological and yogic perspectives on anxiety.
- The mechanisms underpinning yoga’s curative effects as expressed through cutting edge research on yoga, neuroscience, and the psycho-biology of stress.
- Compassionate and sensitivity when working with anxiety and anxiety disorder clients.
- How to conduct a breath assessment to determine the best way to help new clients and students.
- The influence of breathing on mental processes
- How to tailor asana, pranayama, mindfulness, and relaxation exercises to work with anxiety in a mode that is both medically sound and yogically informed.
- How to liaise with the medical and health care establishments
- Precautions, best practice and duty of care
On completion of this training you will be able to:
- Teach yoga classes tailored to anxiety populations.
- Be confident in providing short and long-term yoga therapy treatment plans for those with anxiety disorders for individual clients and groups.
- Have skills to insert into an existing client practice or healthcare setting.
- Offer individual client sessions with an emphasis on anxiety reduction
Please note that this is a continuing professional development course – if you are a healthcare/ mental health practitioner or therapist, you will not become a qualified yoga teacher on the basis of this course but will learn a variety of skills and tools that you can integrate into your pre-existing practice or profession.
Register for this course
Bookings are closed for this event.