23rd May 2020
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Over 2.5 million people in the UK are living with cancer with this figure predicted to rise to 4 million by 2030. Interest in the use of yoga therapy interventions is increasing among health professionals and cancer patients who are seeking out alternative ways of managing symptoms, side effects of treatments and finding ways of moving forwards after cancer. As yoga teachers and therapists we need to be informed and prepared to meet this growing need for alternative interventions in order to support people holistically and safely at all stages of the cancer journey.
Who will this day suit:
Yoga teachers or therapists interested in working with people with cancer.
The day will be lecture, community sharing and practical work in groups and pairs.
- What is cancer? Overview, incidence and prevalence
- Aetiology of cancer; Common causes and treatments
- Viewing cancer from the perspective of the koshas
- Common issues and side effects of cancer and cancer treatments; to include pain, fatigue, nausea, lymphoedema and osteoporosis
- Risks associated when teaching yoga and pranayama for cancer at all stages – keeping your students safe.
- Rebuilding strength and moving forward after cancer
- Using Yoga Nidra and relaxation tools
- Ethics and challenges for teachers and therapists and the importance of self-care and supervision
- Useful resources
This day will offer an initial insight and overview of the tools you will need to develop when working within the complex field of cancer, privately, in social care or NHS settings. Further in depth CPD will be offered 7th October – 12th October 2020.
The Teacher – Julie Robinson
Following several years working as both a general and mental health nurse in the NHS, Julie moved to work in a wide range of community settings chiefly in the areas of of mental health re-provision and supported housing.
She is an Integral Hatha and BWY dIploma teacher with 15 years experience of teaching across various settings with general and clinical populations. Julie is a graduate yoga therapist with TMI and a member of the supervision team.
Since 2017 she has been working individually with people living with cancer and also in a cancer resource centre where she has helped develop their yoga programme.
Register for this course
Bookings are closed for this event.